Powered by Blogger.

A front meadow

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The perennials that we've planted as a beginning to the small front meadow in the mountains are looking good. There are only a few grasses so far, so I guess it's more of a 'border' than a meadow, but it's largely native perennials, which I've planted in more of a meadow than border way.   I've been enjoying its seasonal change as new plants begin flowering.

Joe-Pye in meadow
Started last fall, I guess it isn't surprising that I was thinking about fall-flowering plants at the time, although I tried to think spring and summer on the spring additions.  A Joe-Pye Weed is a standout, and a current butterfly magnet. 

This one is a shorter-in-stature cultivar, with a nicely-branched habit) -- I just went out to see if it still had a tag (nope). Hmm.  No record of having posted about it using the cultivar name, either.  Hmm.  I think it might have been 'Little Joe' or a hybrid between the two common species, becoming Eupatorium dubium, and then selected for stature.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP