Powered by Blogger.

Growing vegetables in containers

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I like to think the soil in my garden beds is excellent (hmm), but often lettuce, greens, and mustards grown in flats or containers filled with planting mix and organic fertilizer do far better than when directly sown.

I'm quite sure it's because of extra nutrients and 'fluffier' soil; it does question the idea that healthy soil webs and organic-rich soil is the only way to grow vegetables, at least in my mind.  There's a reason that vegetables grown hydroponically flourish in solutions of water-soluble major- and micro-nutrients.  But remember my challenges in the fertilizer department, too!

Even' star mustards
So, I wasn't surprised to have a lovely harvest of mustards from this small container recently.  Quite tasty!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP